The FCC is really excited to announce the recipient of our
Volunteer Work Party, Camp Douglas!
We are welcoming their new Director Lucy Rosenberg, and their small but growing camp vibe!
Here is a description from Lucy. Be sure to sign up members from your camp to come volunteer this April and bless this exciting ministry!
Work Party is planned for the week of April 8th, 2024 Mark your Calendars!
Lucy Rosenberg - Camp Douglas Director
Camp Douglas has a very simple program, and we try each year to connect with campers who would experience a financial barrier to other summer camps. This year, 75% of our campers came through either partial or full scholarships, both through partner organizations and through Camp Douglas directly.
As camps go, we are fairly small - this year, our largest camp had 33 campers, and we had 175 campers overall. Camp Douglas was founded in 1945, and a few of the original buildings are still in use! Our 'new' building was built in the 70s, so we are in need of some renovation in the coming years.
The biggest change this year has been the appointment of myself (Lucy) as Executive Director. For the last number of years, the camp has not had a full-time, permanent staff member year-round, so this is a big change for us. We are excited about this new season, about how God might be leading us into growth, and what areas we should look to for development.
Their camp's immediate facility needs are:
* completion of a bathroom for director use. They have a trailer on the property that for the last number of years has been the residence of the on-site caretaker, but they have been expected to move out for the summer to accommodate the director and their family. They have just appointed a new caretaker and don't feel this is a fair expectation to carry forward, so they are turning half of their program storage room into a directors suite that can also be rented out year-round. To make this a viable space, they want to add a shower room nearby.
* one of their cabins is slightly larger than the others. They would like to add some interior walls and a door or curtain to create a private changing space. They could then place campers with particular needs for privacy in this cabin so they have this facility as needed.
* The male staff showers have been under renovation for the last twelve months.
They could really use some extra skilled hands to get this project wrapped up!
* The project of moving out of the trailer includes moving their office space, as they have previously used a trailer porchway for this purpose.
They have identified a new space to put the office, but it is a much smaller space, so will require lots of shelving to add storage.
* They also need assistance with cabin roofing, building a woodshed and picnic tables!
They are excited to suit volunteers to their areas of expertise.
Any assistance you are able to offer would be a huge boost to our rugged little camp!
A link will be sent out at
a later time with info on how to sign-up for Work Party